Final preparations are underway to welcome everyone to the third running of the Carolina Crown Swim Challenge. This year’s event has attracted 200 competitors, our largest yet for this meet and we’re very much looking forward to having everyone together this Sunday.
This will be our final communication to everyone prior to the meet, so we have a few items to go over to make this event memorable in a good way for all involved!
Here is a list of some items of which you will want to be aware:
1. The venue is a new one and this event will be the first one ever held at the facility. We want to thank Tim Conley, Head Coach of the RAYS Swim Team for getting everything ready for us. He and his folks have been very helpful and I’m sure will be supportive on the day of the event as well. The name/ address of the facility is:
Clover School District Community YMCA
(NOTE: Google Crowders Creek Elementary School which is next door)
5484 Charlotte Highway
Clover, SC 29710
2. At present there are no plans for concessions. Therefore, please feel free to pack any drinks or food items that you may wish to consume during the course of this event. We will have water and snacks on hand for those who volunteer to time, deck and administrative officials, and coaches, but feel free to bring anything along that you may need.
3. The timeline for this Sunday, April 30, 2017 is as follows:
Coaches Arrival & Meeting: 11:00am (please be on time or even early if possible)
Athlete Check-in: 11:45am
Officials Meeting: 12noon
Meet Begins: 1:30pm
Halftime Break (10mins): Following Event #14
Meet Ends (approx.): 6:15pm
Awards: Within 10 minutes of meet ending
4. Parking should be sufficient however there is overflow at a nearby church should the parking lot fill.
5. In order to meet our schedule above, we will be conducting CHASE STARTS. This procedure will be explained to the athletes by the coaching staff of each squad – RUBY, EMERALD, SAPPHIRE and BLACK DIAMOND. The plan is for odd events to start at one end; even events at the other.
6. There are about 15 athletes for whom the $70 check did not arrive. I have been in touch with most of you or have sent messages through your home coaches. I will need to collect any outstanding fees at the meet. Checks should be made payable to, “North Carolina Swimming” and the fee will be needed in order for these athletes to participate in this event.
7. Medals for individuals finishing 1st-8th and relay teams finishing 1st-3rd will be delivered to the coaching staff of each squad to distribute. Please make sure you pick these up as they are passed out.
8. We will be trying to get a photo of each squad prior to the meet warm-ups beginning. If we cannot get all of the squads then, we will take some photos after warm-ups. Please wear your Carolina Crown t-shirts throughout the conduct of the meet when you are not swimming.
9. With chase starts we are going to need 32 volunteer timers (2 per lane) throughout the conduct of this meet. I know we can count on our many spectators to assist us with this. Please note that no swim club is in charge of this meet, so we will truly be volunteer-run this Sunday!
10. A custom Carolina Crown towel will be awarded to all athletes on the winning squad at the conclusion of the meet. If you are on the winning squad, please be sure you are present to receive this towel as they cannot be mailed at a later date.
11. Heat sheets will be on sale for $5 near the pool entrance. Change will be limited, so exact change is appreciated. The proceeds from the heat sheet sales will help to offset some of the other costs of the meet, so your purchase of this collector’s item is appreciated. The rosters of each squad as well as other information will be contained in the heat sheet.
12. All athletes will pick up their apparel – t-shirt, Speedo jacket, swim cap and sunglasses—
from their coaches at check-in. Please be sure everything is in your bag when it is received.
13. The weather forecast is for partly cloudy and a high of 83 degrees around meet time. Some shade structures will be supplied, but if you wish to bring a pop-up tent of your own, you may do so. Each team will be supplied with a tent and one end of the 50m course will also have shade structures provided. There is a 20% chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon hours but that’s just to keep us on our toes. Again, please bring in whatever drink (no glass!) that you feel you may need to stay hydrated.
14. My contact email is email@example.com should you have any questions or need to ask about anything that I have failed to address above.
Thank you and on behalf of all of our organizational team behind the scenes, safe travels and we will see you in Clover, SC in just over 48 hours!