REMINDER: 15-18 year-old swimmers applying early for the 2016 Zone Team with Short Course times must complete the application by May 31.
2016 Zone Meet Information
NCS Southern Zone Age Group Championships will be held in Cary, North Carolina on August 2-6.
2016 ZONE ATHLETE SELECTION
For the 2016 Southern Zone Championship, 16 athletes (8 males and 8 females) will be selected in each age group—11-12; 13-14 and 15-18—to represent North Carolina Swimming. We will be selecting some 15-18 year old athletes based on short course times and as no athlete can compete who has achieved USA Swimming Junior National qualifying times, the closer an athlete is to those qualifying times, the better they could expect to do in the competition.
EARLY APPLICATION-Short Course Selection Process:
- For the 2016 Southern Zone Age Group Championships, all early applying athletes must be currently registered, NC Swimming year-round athletes in the 15-18 age group or be turning 15 by the first day of the Southern Zone Age Group Championship.
- Any swimmer applying based on times achieved prior to April 15, 2016 who has the current Summer Junior National time standard in any event prior to the latest possible entry deadline for 2016 Southern Zone Age Group Championships, is ineligible to compete in the 2016 Southern Zone Age Group Championship.
- 14-18 year-old swimmers with at least two short course (2013-2016) 15-16 year-old AAAA time standards will be allowed to apply for a spot in the 15-18 age group of the 2016 NCS Zone Team by submitting a completed application.
- Swimmers applying are required to provide the entire non-refundable Zone fee of $525 (the fee is only refundable if an athlete is not selected or if an athlete subsequently becomes ineligible by swimming a Junior National qualifying time) with an application. The ONLINE APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED no later than May 31, 2016. If an athlete achieves a current individual Summer Junior National time standard, their fee will be refunded in full and an additional athlete will be selected during the long course season.
- All early applicants selected from short course 2015-16 performances will be chosen using power points derived from times recorded in the USA Swimming SWIMS database between September 1, 2016 and April 15, 2016. For a consistent assessment of all time point values, all times will be awarded points using only the 15 year-old single age group power points scale.
- Early applicants will be notified of their selection no later than Monday, June 15, 2016.
- In the event that a swimmer chosen by short course performances declines their selection, the next qualified swimmer, based on points, may be invited to be on the NCS Zone Team, such that up to five athletes may be selected.
- Athletes not selected are eligible to re-apply in the summer using long course times achieved after April 15 through the final application deadline during the NCS Long Course Senior Championship at the Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center, July 21-24.
- All other 15-18 year-old athletes will be selected in the summer. The long course selection process will be specified with the NCS Zone Team long course application and both the process and application will be posted in early June, 2016.
2016 NC ZONE TEAM EARLY APPLICATION PROCEDURE(15-18 only):
1. COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM: 2016 Zone Team Online Application Form
2. SIGN AND SUBMIT CODE OF CONDUCT FORM: 2016 Zone Team Code of Conduct
3. SIGN AND SUBMIT RELEASE FORM: 2016 Zone Team Release Form
4. SEND SIGNED FORMS AND CHECK FOR $525 TO:
NC ZONE TEAM, AMY FAULK, 413 KENILWORTH ROAD, STATESVILLE, NC 28677-3107