Memo To: NCS Coaches, Officials, Team Administrators From: Jonathan Watson, NCS 2014 ZONE TEAM HEAD COACH Date: June 1, 2014 RE: ZONE TEAM APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS Click here for the 2014 NCS ZONE TEAM APPLICATION PACKET. Please feel free to forward on to any year-round athlete currently participating in your program if they might be interested in attending this year’s Southern Zone Championship (July 28-Aug 3) in San Antonio, Texas. The cost per athlete will be $500, plus food and incidentals. Please have interested athletes read through the information attached. As the team will depart on Monday, July 28 (the day after the conclusion of the NCS Senior Championship in Greensboro) there is an extremely quick turnaround from selecting the 15-18 team members on July 27 and their departure on this trip. To assist Team Manager, Amy Faulk, and our staff, we would like to request that interested 15-18 athletes send an application in as soon as possible. We have established deadline for mailing the application and emailing the application and those deadlines are shown on the attached application forms. We do want to field the best team possible for this trip. If you have athletes who you think would perform well at this level (see enclosed psyche sheet for the best times over the past 3 years), please encourage your athlete to apply. Two athletes, Connor Sturgill (GYW) and Mia Morrell (NCAC) were selected off of superior short course performances. That leaves 46 team slots to be filled at the championship meets this summer. All attending athletes will receive an apparel package compliments of sponsor Arena. Our staff is coming from various locations throughout the state. If you have candidates who may be interested, feel free to contact these coaches to let them know. We really are counting on all of our coaches to talk up this meet to your athletes as it is a fantastic end-of-season opportunity. 2014 ZONE COACHING STAFF Head Coach Jonathan Watson firstname.lastname@example.org Team Manager Amy Faulk email@example.com 11-12 Girls Coach Alex Black firstname.lastname@example.org 11-12 Boys Coach Connor Griffin email@example.com 13-14 Girls Coach Tim Anderson firstname.lastname@example.org 13-14 Boys Coach Mike Joyce email@example.com 15-18 Girls Coach JP Merchant firstname.lastname@example.org 15-18 Boys Coach Zach Murray email@example.com Anyone interested in acting as a chaperone on this trip is asked to contact Team Manager, Amy Faulk, at her above email so we can get folks prepared to be certified as chaperones as that too will be a tight turnaround. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions of myself or our staff once you have looked over the attached information. With the trip just 8 short weeks away, we want to have a great experience planned for all of the participants and we will need everyone’s help to field the best team possible. Thank You.
NCS Select Camp/Zone Team Manager Amy Faulk and Coach Jonathan Watson have announced the following coaching assignments for the 2014 NCS Select Camp and Zone Team:
2014 North Carolina Select Camp Staff
Head Coach – Jonathan Watson
Team Manager – Amy Faulk
SELECT CAMP Assistant Coaches
10 & Under Girls – Keri Cleary
10 & Under Boys – Britton Arning-Bandt
11-12 Girls – JP Merchant
11-12 Boys – John Long
13- 14 Girls – Connor Griffin
13- 14 Boys – Tim Anderson
ZONE TEAM Assignments
11-12 Girls – Alex Black
11-12 Boys – Connor Griffin
13-14 Girls – Tim Anderson
13-14 Boys – Mike Joyce
15-18 Girls – JP Merchant
15-18 Boys – John Long
The 2014 NCS Zone team coaching staff has been announced. They are:
Head Coach – Jonathan Watson
Zone Team Manager – Amy Faulk
Alex Black – GYW
Connor Griffin – GCY
John Long – ATOM
Mike Joyce – RSA
JP Merchant – Waves of Wilmington
Tim Anderson – SwimMAC
The staff will coach at the NCS Select Camp on April 26 in Charlotte and at the Southern Zone Meet in San Antonio, July 29-August 2.
Memo To: North Carolina Swimming Clubs
From: Jonathan Watson, 2014 Head Zone Team Coach
RE: 2014 ZONE TEAM INFORMATION
The 2014 Southern Zone Championships will be held this summer in beautiful San Antonio, Texas. The competition dates are Tuesday, July 29-Saturday, Aug. 2, with the Open Water competition on Sunday, Aug. 3. The trip departure date is Monday, July 28 and the return to North Carolina will be late in the day on Sunday, Aug. 3.
While we had hoped to be announcing our staff by now, we have not yet had enough applicants to fill our staff of six assistant coaches. Amy Faulk (NMA) is the 2014 Team Manager and is already hard at work with NCS Executive Administrator Bill Martin on travel logistics. If any NCS club has available staff members who would like to apply for a Zone staff position, please read through the position description below and complete the online application or contact Amy Faulk (firstname.lastname@example.org) or myself (email@example.com).
Assistant Zone Team Coach Position description:
NCS annually selects up to six Assistant Zone swim coaches to serve as staff members for the Southern Zone Long Course Age Group Championship. The coaches report to the Head Zone Team Coach and are responsible in tandem with the Head Coach for the selection of the Zone Team, the supervision of athletes within an age group at the meet, selection of athlete’s meet events by deadlines given, and encouraging all athletes selected to perform to the best of their abilities. The assistants chosen also serve as staff members to the annual NCS Select Camp on April 26-27, 2014 for around 120 athletes ages 9-14. Assistant coaches may be called upon to present educational information while attending the Select Camp and will receive a stipend for their participation. At the camp, assistant coaches lead athletes in three pool workouts and supervise them over the 2-day camp along with the Head Coach, a Camp Director and several chaperones.
2014 ZONE ATHLETE SELECTION
For the 2014 Southern Zone Championship, 16 athletes (8 males and 8 females) will be selected in each age group—11-12; 13-14 and 15-18—to represent North Carolina Swimming. We will be selecting some 15-18 year old athletes based on short course times and as no athlete can compete who has achieved USA Swimming Junior National qualifying times, the closer an athlete is to those qualifying times, the better they could expect to do in the competition.
EARLY APPLICATION-Short Course Selection Process:
- For the 2014 Southern Zone Age Group Championships, all early applying athletes must be currently registered, NC Swimming year-round athletes in the 15-18 age group or be turning 15 by the first day of the Southern Zone Age Group Championship.
- Any swimmer applying based on times achieved prior to April 15, 2014 who has the current Summer Junior National time standard in any event prior to the latest possible entry deadline for 2014 Southern Zone Age Group Championships, is ineligible to compete in the 2014 Southern Zone Age Group Championship.
- 14-18 year-old swimmers with at least two short course (2013-2016) 15-16 year-old AAAA time standards will be allowed to apply for a spot in the 15-18 age group of the 2014 NCS Zone Team by submitting a completed application.
- Swimmers applying are required to provide the entire non-refundable Zone fee of $500 (the fee is only refundable if an athlete is not selected or if an athlete subsequently becomes ineligible by swimming a Junior National qualifying time) with an application. The ONLINE APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED no later than April 15, 2014. If an athlete achieves a current individual Summer Junior National time standard, their fee will be refunded in full and an additional athlete will be selected during the long course season.
- Swimmers Top Times from the SWIMS database and SWIMS single event power points should to be submitted, using the date range of September 1, 2013 to April 15, 2014.
- Early applicants will be notified of their selection no later than Thursday, May 15, 2014.
- Athletes not selected are eligible to re-apply in the summer using long course times achieved after April 15 through the final application deadline during the NCS Long Course Senior Championship (exact date TBD).
- All early applicants selected from short course 2013-14 performances will be chosen using power points derived from the USA Swimming SWIMS program. For a consistent assessment of all time point values, all times will be awarded points using only the 18 year-old single age group power points scale.
- In the event that a swimmer chosen by short course performances declines their selection, the next qualified swimmer, based on points, may be invited to be on the NCS Zone Team, such that up to five athletes may be selected.
- All other 15-18 year-old athletes will be selected in the summer. The long course selection process will be specified with the NCS Zone Team long course application and both the process and application posted no later than early June, 2014.
2014 NC ZONE TEAM EARLY APPLICATION PROCEDURE(15-18 only):
1. COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM: 2014 Zone Team Online Application Form
2. SIGN AND SUBMIT CODE OF CONDUCT FORM: 2014 Zone Team Code of Conduct
3. SIGN AND SUBMIT RELEASE FORM: 2014 Zone Team Release Form
4. SEND SIGNED FORMS AND CHECK FOR $500 TO:
NC ZONE TEAM, AMY FAULK, 413 KENILWORTH ROAD, STATESVILLE, NC 28677-3107
Applications are being accepted for 2014 NCS Select Camp and Zone Team assistant coaches. Those interested are asked to complete and submit the following online form:
Here are the 2013 Zone Team Medalists as of yesterday, 8/01/13. See more photos of the zone team in the Photo Gallery.
Here is a link to the 2013 Zone Team Information Page. It includes the Psych Sheet, as well as Meet Results for the 2013 Southern Age Group Zone Meet in Greenville, South Carolina.
Here is the 2013 NCS Zone Team Roster.
Get updated reports on Zone Team qualifying points during Age Group Champs. The spread sheet will be updated live as the meet goes on with times and points for Zone team applicants.
Click the following link to view updated results: http://bit.ly/1akV3cS